Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What's in a Name?

Over New Year's weekend while Stephen and I were visiting my parents we decided to take a little trip downtown Detroit one afternoon. There is a used bookstore there that Stephen has always wanted to visit called John K. King Used & Rare Books. The place is truly amazing. Six floors of books stacked floor to ceiling. If you ever get a chance to visit I highly suggest you do. Then you should eat lunch at Mudgie's in Corktown. Delicious.

Anyway, while at the bookstore I came across this little gem published in 1967. It was $1.25 so I decided to buy it and then Stephen and I challenged ourselves to choose our unborn baby's name from it. It's only 32 pages long and 8 of those pages include making sure the name you choose has a cool nickname, a family tree and ads for Enfamil like the one shown below.


I've looked through this book a ton of times and nothing really jumps out at me. Stephen actually likes the name Cadwallader. While it does have a cool meaning there is not a chance in hell that I am naming my kid that. No matter what Stephen or John N. say.

The cool thing about used books is seeing what the previous owner was leaning towards. Apparently Lenore was one of their options, which happens to be my grandma's name.


Also, I think it's totally fun and appropriate that, according to this book, Tait means cheerful. Who has ever met a Tait that isn't? (On a side note, I really like this picture of the name Tait and am considering fine tuning it a bit and then blowing it up and framing it. What do you guys think?)

The point is that Stephen and I can't really agree on anything. We are open to suggestions! As long as it's cooler that Cadwallader...I don't want to see a single comment in the comment section arguing that Cadwallader is a cool name. If you do you'll be banished from this blog forever!

10 comments:

TAITx3 said...

Sorry, I got nothing for you.... I'm having a hard time myself trying to come up with names. I think I'll just wait a couple weeks until I find out the sex, then I can concentrate on one gender.
Good luck with the search.
~KT

Anonymous said...

I like the name Percy. It is also a family name.... from the Edwards side of the family.

It is also the main character in the Percy Jackson series. Spencer and Lucas love the name.

I can foresee some nasty nicknames for the kid though.

Susu said...

Anything you pick will be great as long as you keep Stephen and John N. out of the decision making. I think the idea of framing the Tait name picture is awesome! Kadence suggests the name "Boy the boy" or "Bowtie the bowtie" since Carol did not use either of her ideas. Hey , what kind of names did you expect from a four year old?

Carol and Dan said...

I really liked Theodore. But we liked the nickname Theo (pronounced Tay-o). We knew a really cool guy named that from the Netherlands and that is how they pronounce it there.
One of my favortie girl names was Elenor, with a nickname of either Ellen or Nora. I like it "old school"!! :)
Fo Sho do the picture! ........c.

linsey said...

Nora is my great grandmother's name and currently one that is ranked very high on our list. It's one of my favs. Also in this book that I have, the meaning of it is "honorable" which I think is kinda cool. I also love Eleanor but Stephen doesn't like it as much as I do.

Hank and Mary said...

Lets see, a nice name for a baby who will grow up to be a man or women. I like the name Alonzo for a boy. That was my grandpa's middle name.

Alma Sophia was my great Grandma's name. It has a ring to it. But, if your anything like Dad and I, you will still be pondering the name until the birth. It's such an daunting decision.

Anonymous said...

Lucas thinks you should name him Daniel.

Spencer thinks you should name him David.

Lucas thinks you should name her Emily

Spencer thinks you should name her Mackenzie

Unknown said...

Thanks for the nice blog. This is very useful and interesting.I read this and my self very appreciate with this blog. Thanks a lot...

http://daily-painting.blogspot.com/2010/02/winter-wonderland_13.html

Nella said...

I agree! One of the best things about used books are the surprises left by previous owners.

The Jaymac Clan said...

Good luck with the name, its such a big decision. We are very excited for you guys. You will both be such great parents.