Monday, February 28, 2011

Gettin' Healthy... or trying to to at least.

So Stephen and I are making an attempt to turn up the health factor in our lifestyles. We both recently saw the doctor and before we get our lab work back we decided to just start doing what we already know we should be doing... simply eating healthy and exercising more. Grant it, we already did eat fairly healthy and worked out a bit, Stephen more so than me, but it was still more sporadic than we would like.

We both joined Planet Fitness, which easily fits into anyone's budget because memberships are only $10 a month. We are going to try to take turns going in the mornings, switching off work outs and baby duty. I also signed up for a pilates class at the local recreation center which I am really looking forward to.

I try to plan out our dinners weekly. That way I know exactly what I need to do to get dinner ready for that night, and I can prep things when I have a few spare minutes through out the day and it doesn't seem like such a daunting task at 5 pm. I also go to the grocery store with a very specific list which cuts down and lots of little trips to the grocery store during the week to pick up ingredients. I've been doing this menu thing for a few months now and it really has helped keep me organized and I'm more encouraged to cook because I know exactly what I need to do.

I write everything down on this chalkboard/picture frame I got for Christmas.

Tonight we had a really, really delicious asian chicken salad from Everyday Food. I make a lot of stuff out of that magazine. I would definitely make this again. I grilled the chicken with a little kosher salt, pepper and cumin. I also added thinly sliced scallions and toasted sesame seeds and omitted the mint, cause it's not my favorite. One serving is only 199 calories.

Seriously make this!!!

Here is my sous chef happy to assist!

Here is the recipe since I can't find it online: (from Everyday Food)

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
1 jalapeno, minced
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
4 cups shredded red cabbage, about half a medium head
1 cup shredded carrots, about 2 large
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, jalapeno, oil and sugar until combined. Add cabbage, carrots, scallions, cilantro, mint and chicken and toss well to combine. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top. Serve immediately.

Hopefully we can stick with it! Does anyone have any tips on staying motivated to go to the gym, especially when you have to clean all the snow off of your car at 5 am?


10 comments:

Hank and Mary said...

I love your post and especially your little helper there. :)

I really like the idea of you planning your meals. I don't and it makes me want to do it all that much more. The dinner looks great, healthy and delicious. Mmmmm.

I have no ideas as to what you can do. 5 am taking snow off your car seems like an ugly task, but, I also know a lot of people do the T.V. dvd type of exercise. Seriously energetic stuff. I'm happy about your pilate class.

Unknown said...

Thumbs up for your guys!!! Chris and I just went back to the gym last month. I wish they offered some pilates though :(

My tip is: just do not listen to your own excuses... Go anyways. It doesn't matter if you are tired or moody. We find time to everything in this life. Should reserve a bit of that time to this body that carry us all along life. Plus think that Leland will be so thankful in some years that you both still have the energy and are healthy to do anything with her.

Patty said...

I just love looking at your posts all the time. Tim and I have been doing the same thing....planning our week of meals as it also saves money because we don't make as many impulsive food decisions and defintely don't go out as much! As for the motivation factor...just remember it takes more time to talk yourself out of going than it does to get up and go! And remember, it releases so many wonderful endorphins to keep you happy and healthy! Leland is beautiful and we can't wait to meet her this summer! Take care!

Patty and Tim

AL said...

How many servings for that recipe? I would love to make that, but I don't want to eat half of it and find out that you can only eat a quarter of it. :)

Keep up this blog, I really love talking about healthy eating and living, it makes me keep up my motivation.

AL said...

I didn't read the part at the end about motivation.
My motivation is my children, I want to see them become parents and enjoy my grandkids, and I need to get healthy. So when I don't feel like going to the gym, I picture leaving my children early, and I get my fat ass in the car to the gym. As for the snow at 5 am, my only advise is, move to a warmer climate you knuckleheads. I just looked at the next 10 days of your weather, and I was depressed for you guys.

AL said...

I didn't read the part at the end about motivation.
My motivation is my children, I want to see them become parents and enjoy my grandkids, and I need to get healthy. So when I don't feel like going to the gym, I picture leaving my children early, and I get my fat ass in the car to the gym. As for the snow at 5 am, my only advise is, move to a warmer climate you knuckleheads. I just looked at the next 10 days of your weather, and I was depressed for you guys.

TAITx3 said...

OOOoh. That looks yummy.

Carrie said...

Since I got back from DC I started going to my pilates class again. It hurt to sneeze after my first day back. I hope you love pilates as much as I do and get a great teacher.

tait1dh@cmich.edu said...

Steve, what did you have on the "fend for yourself" day - i would have gone with a huge prime rib and a loaded baked potato and watch as Linsey eats some salad or something.

Anonymous said...

Hello.
I started to write blog in English.
I will write about everything, will be a lot of pictures, reviews of books, films, songs etc.
So it would be nice if you visit my blog sometimes :)
(Sorry for mistakes, I'm still learning English)
http://bianchii.blogspot.com
(You can follow me)