Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Maple Creek Farm

So Stephen and I are really excited...we joined a community supported agriculture (CSA) program at a local, organic farm today, Maple Creek Farm. I was out there taking pictures for an assignment for the paper and found out about their CSA. For $2o a week from mid-June to the end of October we'll get a big box full of fresh produce delivered to a pick up site only a few blocks from our apartment.

I've always wanted to try something like this. It's really fun to know that this stuff literally was grown only 45 minutes from my house. I never buy stuff that's organic from the grocery store cause it's always way too expensive, but this is about what we spend on produce at the grocery store anyway.

I'm super excited to get our first shipment. We'll be getting everything that's fresh on the farm, and it's all picked the day before it's delivered. When I was out there today the owner was showing me these awesome looking brandywine tomatoes that they are growing in a hoop house to make sure they actually get a tomato crop this year. Anyway, I'm talking everything from strawberries, to squashes, broccoli, garlic, radishes, different lettuces, raspberries, tomatoes, peppers, the list goes on and on. I'm excited because we'll get to try lots of new vegetables and I'll get to create lots of new dinners in the kitchen, plus we won't have to buy hardly any produce for the entire summer and most of fall.

I'll be keeping everyone posted on how it goes and I'll be sure to post lots of pics of what we get and make.

8 comments:

Hank and Mary said...

That is so exciting Linsey. What a good idea. I'll be looking forward to seeing all the vegetables you get to try. :)

Carol and Dan said...

Awesome! We are doing that as well. I'm looking forward to expanding our produce horizon! I never buy random veggies at the store, but now I'll feel the need to use them and not let them go to waste! Recipe.com here I come! Good luck with your summer cooking. If you find recipies you really like, please share them...I'll be looking for some ideas! :) ...........c.

Carrie said...

This sounds so wonderful. I can't wait to see what you make.

linsey said...

I also forgot to mention that you can find something like this where you live by going to:

www.localharvest.org

nn said...

Shirlene

Is this the same kid we raised?? She never touched a vegetable until the age of 21.

Signed

The Old Man

linsey said...

You're a real crack up, dad.

Shirlene Wuepper said...

Jeff, 21! I thought it was just last year!!!!!

Lynne said...

local is the way to go! Less pesticides and stimulating the local economy! You guys make me proud. :)